Friday, July 6, 2012

Preview


One of the issues I have with “blogging” is that I don’t like the word.  There is nothing about it that suggests the art of writing.  A web log is suggestive of mere record keeping – “blog” is merely another sign of  pervasive abuse of the language (i.e;  There is no reason for sports reporters to call the Astros the 'stros other than to be clever). If you have read Fahrenheit 451 or 1984 (and if not, WHY NOT?) you will understand what I’m getting at.

So in 2005, when the New York State United Teachers magazine decided to  publish my chronicle (my word) of my final year of teaching, they called it a blog: (http://nysut.org/herm/index.html).    
Since I firmly believe in the adage that “you don’t argue with people who buy ink by the barrel,” I decided that if they wanted it to be a blog, so be it.  I say “chronicle,” you say “blog.”

So – as my chronicle unfolds, I will deal with areas in which I possess some expertise:  baseball, baseball rules, education, language, photography, poetry, writing, irony, and a few other things.
I will not engage in any writing that reflects political or religious contexts.  It’s not that I don’t care, it’s just that I don’t care to write about them.

I am not inviting you to debate me on any of the topics.  I realize you may have differing opinions. I am not looking to make you think I am convinced of the universal truth in what I say, but there are some things that are beyond dispute.  If I express an opinion, let it go at that.  There is no proof or disproof necessary.

When I wrote my newspaper column, people were invited to express their opinions.  People only responded that they liked what I said or disliked it.  People who are so-so on something seldom take the time to express that.

Some things are essentially universal truths, with situational exceptions.  For example, a foul popup behind third base is the shortstop’s ball, BUT there are factors that might affect that case by case.
When  I say that Fahrenheit 451 is the scariest book ever written, don’t feel that you need to tell me I am  wrong.  When I say I don’t care for asparagus, don’t tell me what I am missing out on or accuse me of being anti-vegetarian.

When I tell you that Billy Collins is my favorite poet, don’t tell me that Charles Bukowski or Emily Dickinson or anybody else is better – I read them, too.

I won’t debate steroid users and Hall of Fame credentials – leave that to the writers.  However, don’t say that if steroid users get in, Pete Rose should, too.  He broke a rule – steroid users just manipulated the system that existed at the time.  And instant replay on every play is ridiculous.

OK – that’s the beginning – I have to go take some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment