Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Sports Moments



There are moments, and there are moments. During a career in sports, in various forms, I have experienced quite a few things that stand out. I have seen in person the only game that Mickey Mantle played second base, saw Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in a World Series game, saw Floyd Little score five touchdowns against Kansas, shook hands with Bob Cousy, played, coached, umpired, photographed, countless “moments” over the years.
Recently I was among former athletes honored with awards from my alma mater, Syracuse University. Following the evening, walking to the car, I was stopped by a woman pushing an 88-year-old gentleman in a wheel chair.
"Congratulations," she said, smiling. We shook hands, she introduced herself.
"Congratulations," he said, offering a handshake.
My hand disappeared into his large right hand.…I was not sure I would get it back. The name she had introduced herself by hung in the air…”Beyer.”
He introduced himself…”Dick Beyer.”
“Dick ‘The Destroyer’ Beyer I said, an exclamation, not a question. “It’s an honor,” I said.
“Dick Beyer,” I said to my wife. “Letterwinner of Distinction. Syracuse football captain in the ‘50s, professional wrestler.”
He smiled, probably surprised that I recognized his name, and who he was…who he is.
It got better. There was something in the back of my head, some connection that was slowly forming itself. I knew he was from Buffalo…I knew he had been a big time pro wrestler before it became the farce that it is today.
“Do you know Matt Winters? Buffalo? Baseball player…scout for Hokkaido?
“Of course, he said…played in Japan…another Buffalo guy.”
“Of course,” I said to myself. “Of course.” Two guys from Buffalo who plied their sports trade in Japan and became stars.
“Of course,” I said to myself. Why not…isn’t that the small world theory, after all.
When I shared the story with Matt, he sent me this photo of them.
So…why would I not meet an 88-year-old man in a wheelchair who was a sports legend of a different era who knows a friend of mine from Buffalo that I met because of baseball and be humbled by the fact that he would congratulate me?
Partly because those are the kind of odd, yet affirming connections we make in sports.
Another reason why sports matters. Of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment